Here’s what you’ll need
For the Marinara Sauce
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Onion – peeled and finely diced
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- 14 oz (400g) Passata
- 1 tsp Oregano or thyme
- 1 tsp Sugar
For The Chicken
- 2 Large chicken breasts
- 2 Eggs
- 3 tbsp Plain (all purpose) flour
- 75g Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp Paprika – (optional – but gives the breaded chicken a lovely rich colour)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 75g Finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 ball (4.4oz or 125g) Mozzarella, sliced
- 1/4 tsp Oregano or thyme
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F and put a large baking dish to one side.
- Start with the marinara sauce. Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring often until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the passata, oregano/thyme and sugar. Stir and bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chicken by placing the chicken breasts flat on a board and slicing in half through the middle, so you have 4 equal-sized thin fillets.
- Dust on both sides with the flour. Add the eggs to a bowl and give them a quick whisk.
- Add the panko, paprika, salt, pepper, half the parmesan and the olive oil to a second bowl. Stir together until the panko is evenly coated in the oil.
- Dip a chicken fillet in the egg to coat, then dip in the breadcrumbs on both sides until completely covered.
- Place in the large baking dish and repeat with the remaining chicken fillets, so the chicken fillets are placed in a single layer in the baking dish.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes until the breadcrumbs are lightly browned. Take the chicken out of the oven and pour 3/4 of the marinara sauce around the chicken. Lift up each piece of chicken with a spatula so the sauce spreads and covers the base of the dish and the chicken is sitting on top.
- Top the chicken fillets with the remaining marinara sauce.
- Arrange the slices of mozzarella on top of the chicken and sprinkle on the remaining parmesan and the oregano/thyme.
- Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is golden and piping hot throughout.
- Serve the chicken with cooked spaghetti and sprinkle on fresh basil before serving.