Here’s what you’ll need
For the Toast
- 4 thick slices of sourdough bread
- 40g softened butter
- 2 garlic cloves – crushed
- 40g Comte or mature cheddar cheese – grated
- 1 handful of chopped parsley and a sprig of rosemary
- Sea salt
For the Beef Mince
- 1 onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 leek sliced lengthways
- 1 celery stick
- 1 carrot
- 4 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1kg beef mince
- 2 plum tomatoes – sliced in large chunks
- 1 handful of oats
- 25ml soy sauce
- ½ bottle of red wine
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat until starting to warm.
- Add a good glug of olive oil and sweat the onions, leek, celery, carrot, and crushed garlic until they are all slightly soft.
- Add the beef mince and brown evenly.
- Add in the sliced tomatoes, oats, soy sauce, and wine. Season with salt and pepper to your taste and simmer for 1-2 hours.
- Place softened butter into a mixing bowl with the crushed garlic and add the grated cheese, chopped parsley and rosemary. Mix all of this together until evenly combined. Spread the prepared garlic butter onto each piece of bread and heat a frying pan until hot.
- Place the buttered bread butter side down into the hot pan and ensure that the bread gets brown on the buttered side. Place garlic bread on a plate and spoon over mince.