A note from our chef
Here’s what you’ll need
- 2 rump steaks, trimmed of any fat
- Half tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2tsp paprika
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 400g beef stock
- 150g button mushrooms
- 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- 75ml crème fraîche
- 4tbsp chopped flatleaf parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Basmati rice
- Green salad
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over low-medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook gently for 10 minutes, or until softened and starting to caramelise.
- Stir in the garlic and cook gently for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the paprika and tomato puree. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, mushrooms and mustard. Bring to a simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the volume of liquid has reduced by half.
- Place a frying pan over a high heat. Rub the steaks with a little oil and season with salt and pepper.
- When the pan is smoking hot, add the steaks and fry until medium-rare. Remove and set aside to rest.
- Once the sauce has reduced, remove from the heat, stir in the crème fraîche, and most of the parsley reserving some for garnish.
- Stir in the juices from the resting meat and check the seasoning. Cut the meat into thick slices and stir into the sauce.
- Serve the stroganoff sprinkled with the remaining parsley and serve with freshly cooked basmati rice and a green salad.