A note from our chef
Here’s what you’ll need
For the lamb
- 1 leg of Lakings lamb (around 2kg)
For the marinade
- 2 garlic cloves (Crushed)
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 6 thyme springs
- Half a teaspoon of fennel seeds – crushed in a pestle and mortar
- 1 lemon zested (Half the juice)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tsp salt
- Half a teaspoon of black pepper
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
For the harissa yogurt
- 1kg Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp harissa
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a shallow non-metallic large dish.
- Add the lamb into the dish and massage your marinade into the meat. Leave in the fridge for 2-12 hours, turning the lamb in the marinade around half-way through.
- Light the BBQ adding plenty of coals. When the BBQ is hot, lift the lamb out of the marinade and hold over the tray until access has run off. Place your lamb on the BBQ griddle fat side down and cook on both sides for 5 minutes.
- Move some coals to one side to obtain one warm side and one cooler side. Move the lamb to the side with less coals (ensuring a steady even cook). For around 35-40 minutes.
- Remove leg from the BBQ and place onto a tray, cover tightly with foil and leave to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- For the harissa yogurt combine all of the ingredients (other than the pomegranate seeds) in a bowl and finish by scattering the pomegranate seeds over the top.