A note from our chef
Here’s what you’ll need
For the patties
- 1.2kg minced lamb
- 3 tbsp plain Greek yoghurt
- A thumb-sized piece of root ginger (peeled and grated)
- 3 cloves of garlic (peeled, crushed and finely chopped)
- 1 red chilli (deseeded and finely chopped)
- 1 heaped tsp ground cumin
- 12 crushed cardamom pods (husks discarded, seeds pounded)
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Olive oil
For the tahini yogurt
- 200g Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- To make the patties, mix the yoghurt, ginger, garlic, chilli, spices, and fresh coriander together in a large bowl. Season with plenty of freshly ground black pepper (but no salt at this stage), then tip in the minced lamb.
- Mix all the ingredients lightly together, then form the lamb into 8 evenly sized patties. Try not to press the meat together too much or the texture of the patties will be too hard. Place in the fridge until ready to use, then season with a sprinkle of salt.
- Once your BBQ is heated and cooled slightly, add the patties, and cook for around 7 minutes turning constantly, taking care not to get too dark, but please make sure they cook throughout.
- To make the tahini yogurt combine all ingredients for the yogurt and spoon it over the patties.