X 6 – 8
X 6 – 8
A note from our chef
Here’s what you’ll need
- 50g butter, plus extra to serve
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 red cabbage, cored and sliced
- 1 sharp eating apple, diced
- 3tbsp soft brown sugar
- 150ml sherry vinegar
- 2tbsp red currant jelly or cranberry sauce
- Melt the butter in a large pan over a medium heat and add the onion.
- Soften in the butter for a few minutes, then stir in the spices and cook for one minute.
- Tip in the cabbage and sauté until shiny and well coated.
- Add the apple, sugar, and vinegar, reduce the heat to low, stir well, cover, and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure it doesn’t stick.
- Stir in the red currant jelly or cranberry sauce and cook for another 25 minutes.
- Season well and stir through a knob of butter before serving.