X 4 – 6
X 4 – 6
A note from our chef
Here’s what you’ll need
- 1 tbsp Plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Large oxtail, about 1.2kg to 1.4kg, jointed
- 2 tbsp Rapeseed oil
- 2 Onions, peeled and roughly diced
- 4 Small, trimmed sticks of celery, diced
- 3 Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 Cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Tomato puree
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1 Beef stock cube made up with 300ml boiling water
- Half a bottle (375cl) of good red wine
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper and toss the oxtail joints in the seasoned flour until they are coated on all sides.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan (that has a lid) and brown the oxtail on all sides, do this in batches.
- Remove the browned oxtails from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onions and celery to the pan and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots and garlic and fry for a further 2 minutes, stirring all the time. Then add the herbs and the tomato puree and stir well before adding the wine and beef stock.
- Stir well and add the oxtail back to the pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper, place the lid on the pan and cook slowly in the pre-heated oven for 3 hours, until the meat is meltingly tender and is almost falling off the bone.
- Serve with mashed potato and seasoned root vegetables.