X 6 – 8
X 6 – 8
A note from our chef
Here’s what you’ll need
- 4 large free-range egg yolks
- 250g cold unsalted butter, diced
- 2tbsp water
- Juice of half lemon
- Salt to taste
- Place the yolks, butter and water in a heavy-based pan and heat very gently on a low heat, whisking all the time.
- As the butter melts, the sauce will begin to thicken; don’t be tempted to hurry things along by turning the heat up, the sides of the pan should be cool enough to touch at all times.
- Once the butter has melted, turn up the heat a touch and whisk vigorously until it thickens: if it begins to steam, take it off the heat, but do not stop whisking.
- When the sauce is thickened, stir in the lemon juice and season to taste. Serve immediately, or store in a warm place until needed: Hollandaise sauce cannot be reheated.